November 22, 2005

unjustifiable yearning

i may know love.
but i also recognise an addiction.
the need to be with. never without.
an unjustifiable yearning.

i crossed the street as quickly as i could. to avoid the drizzle and to avoid the cars.
the entire store was lit prettily. like a christmas tree.
the cold air hit me as i stepped through the glass doors. i knew within a few minutes my body would start to shiver.
i looked around. she wasn't in sight. she must be upstairs. as i ascended the stairs, i overheard the manager saying something to the staff downstairs. wished my manager was as kind. moje, for whom a smile is a weekly event.
as i reached the upper level, my fingers were almost numb. i found my hands delving deeper into my pockets. the cold is crazy.
and there she was in the crafts section, placing a book onto the shelf overhead. i went up to her, thinking of what i would say to startle her. then, she turned. as her eyes met mine, i forgot about the cold. beauty captivating the deepest folds within me.
'hi,' i managed.
'hey!'
that smile. she was startled anyway. yay.
the blood in my veins was about to freeze over but i didn't notice.
i was thankful for escaping the cold as we stepped outside.
i was thankful for her.
holding her gentle hand as we walked in the drizzle, talking of absolutely nothing.
the glances i stole at her were rewarding.
we stood beside her car for a good few minutes. both trying to ignore what's about to come.
i ran my fingers through her gorgeous hair as she drove.
as we stopped at the junction, i tasted her lips.
of course, i had difficulty tearing away. as always.
before stepping out, i touched her hand and looked into her eyes.
'i love you,' i whispered.
the raindrops did not help as i walked away.

1 comment:

priya said...

I don't know about you, but I was also trying to ignore the kids who were wishing we would do more than stand there innocently...hee